April 18, 2014

Downstairs


I briefly set aside the Romantic stays & gown project to throw together a quickie outfit for another event.  PEERs hosted a Downton Abbey ball recently, so of course I needed something to wear! 

Not my usual ball attire.

Since Curtis and I just happen to live in what may have been the servants quarters of a 1913 house, and our friends and neighbors live a floor above us in the fancy parlor of said house, we decided to combine forces and floors to throw a pre-ball Upstairs/Downstairs Downton shindig.  We left the elegant clothes and manners to them, and prepared to attend an event dressed down for once.  There was just one issue- I only have fancy dresses!

Rummaging around online, I came across the Ladies Treasury of free patterns; specifically their 1912-1914 Ladies Custom-Drafted Skirt in 3, 5 & 7 Gores.  Following their instructions, I was able to quickly and easily draft up the 5 gore version to my measurements.  Since I found a pretty stripped cotton fabric I wanted to use, I did change the suggested grainline to run down the center of each piece so I would be able to pattern match the stripes in a more pleasing manner along the seams.

Sweet stripe
matching, yeah!

I wasn't able to start the skirt until about 10pm of the evening before the party, but I did manage to knock it all out in that one late night session.  It might have gone quicker had I not had to stare at my pattern layout for a good forty minutes trying to recall how to properly lay the pieces to ensure the stripes matched. 




I wanted the bottom edge of the skirt to stand away from my feet a bit, so I added some stiff crinoline fabric behind the wide facing I used to finish the hem.  It's actually a bit too stiff, and makes the skirt have more of an earlier line, but I still like it.    I figure this skirt could end up working as a casual skirt spanning the 1890s through the early teens, especially if I'm pretending to be behind in fashion a bit.

A 4" band of crinoline tucked 'tween the skirt edge and its facing lends support.

The back of the skirt swoops out just a bit, which I love.  Cat alert on the left!


In the rush to get it done, I didn't have time to add hooks and eyes, so the skirt back was pinned closed for the party and ball.  Once I get around to sewing them on, the closure should be nearly invisible.


I couldn't find my pin-tucked shirtwaist the day of, so I wore a striped shirt meant for a man.  With an apron over it and the sleeves rolled up, only the collar gives it away, and I don't care for this event.  With a scarf to cover my hair, I think I made quite a lovely kitchen maid!


It was pretty awesome wearing this and not having to worry about getting my nice clothes dirty.  I felt perfectly comfy bustling about the kitchen baking bread and prepping food in costume.  If I got some flour or whatever on me, no worries, it just adds to the character!

Never fear, this quickie outfit didn't derail me from my Romantic gown project.  I won't likely have the stays finished in time (let's face it, as complex as they are, I was never going to get the stays done on time).  However, I will have a ridiculously over the top 1830s gown done in time for the Gaskell ball.  Here's a few sneak peek photos to tide you over!

Corded side panel of the stays.

Testing, testing...

12 comments:

  1. OMG, I adore your green stays! That cording! ~swoons~ I can't wait to see your 1830s ensemble, it's a time period I absolutely adore, and there are far too few people doing it!

    Your Downton Downstairs outfit turned out really cute! I love the striped skirt, it's one of those pieces that will be good for so many things. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A good sized group of ladies will be dressing up in Romantic Era gowns at the end of April, so there will be a whole lot o' 1830ish eye candy :)

      Delete
  2. Simple (looking) and perfect - I love the mix of stripes, and the stripe matching. Can I be your apprentice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that skirt. Your whole outfit was perfect. It was so nice to see a well-done Downstairs outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your Sybil outfit was perfect!

      Delete
  4. Your maid outfit looked really good at the ball. https://www.flickr.com/photos/7181690@N03/13680633873/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo yummy! And thanks for the free skirt pattern connection. That green sleeve is swoon worthy, I swear!
    Nancy N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! There's some interesting patterns on that site.

      Delete
  6. I am drooling over your stripe matching right now :) and that last picture of the sleeve... In love!!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait till you see the final sleeve!

      Delete

Your comment won't show up right away, but don't worry! I moderate comments so that I can get rid of spam without you having to sign in and solve a captcha. It may take a little while for me to approve your comment, but check back soon!