September 22, 2013

I Like Big Hats & I Cannot Lie


The house is only half unpacked, but deadlines loom!  While I won't have time to blog everything I'm making over the next two weeks as I frantically sew, I'll probably be able to post a few quick pics as I go, then follow up later with more in-depth posting.  Since I've got a few free moments, here's what I've got so far.

Silliness in class!

To kick things off, I started with one item that was almost done so that I could feel like I was making some progress.  I started this bonnet almost two months ago in a GBACG workshop taught by Lynn McMasters.  BTW, the GBACG classes are awesome, and if you aren't checking them out you are missing a whole lot of awesome.

Covering the crown edge.
The hat is Lynn's newest Regency Bonnet Pattern, using the large brim.  While I've made buckram hats before, I learned a TON of new tips and tricks from Lynn that I'd never have figured out otherwise.

Mulling the brim and crown.

I chose a beautiful blue and gold cross woven silk taffeta for the main fabric, with a VIVID orange and gold cross woven silk taffeta for the ties.  While beautiful, the fabric is a total bitch to work with.  It shows every wrinkle and crease, and because of the two-toned weave you can't even get a pin near it without leaving very obvious marks.  I had to be careful to make sure that all the pinning and stitching was done in areas that would be covered!

Class was a blast (I love sewing in groups) but of course we weren't able to finish our hats in just one day.  I got as far as assembling the crown and brim separately, covering them in mull and getting the blue silk on.  That alone was a lot of work!

My progress by the end of class.

The above photo is where I started yesterday.  All I had to do was put bias trim on the edge of the brim, attach the brim to the crown, and make the hatband and ties.

Fitting the band.

The bias binding on the edge gave me fits.  I'll likely redo it later, with some sort of crazy vivid trim.  It still needs some froof added in the form of feathers and other adornments, but it's wearable, and that's what counts.



Binding issues aside, I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  Now to create the rest of the outfit to wear with it!

Edited to Add - I forgot to mention that this is my entry for Trystan's awesome Accessorizing Head-to-Toe Challenge.  September project is hats, and I actually finished mine before the end of the month!

14 comments:

  1. I love it! The colors are great. Can't wait to see the rest of the outfit you make to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue silk looks so smooth and wrinkle free! That is seriously impressive work.

    I am all for having bright, vivid binding around the edge, by the way. It would look awesome with the bright, vivid ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very happy (and very surprised!) that it came out as smooth as it did ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm super excited about how it turned out :)

      Delete
  4. Yours is gorgeous! I was working on mine last night, sadly still a bit behind because I'm reconsidering the colors. I love how smoothly your covering came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good luck on yours, I'm sure it will turn out great :)

      Delete
  5. It's wonderful! You did an amazing job getting the fabric to lie smooth.
    Stovepipe bonnets are awesome. Actually, pretty much all Regency accessories are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to not be a fan of this hat shape, but I LOVE it now.

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous! I'm impressed with how smooth your silk looks- not an easy feat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly isn't! I have new found respect for hat makers.

      Delete

Your comment won't show up right away, but don't worry! I moderate comments so that I can get rid of spam without you having to sign in and solve a captcha. It may take a little while for me to approve your comment, but check back soon!